Tuesday, January 4, 2011

cold dark walk

I was so busy tonight!  I ran all over the place trying to get chinese 5 spice blend for a roasted pear thing I am making and then I had to go to the ONLY butcher in town to get some ground lamb for a greek burger I'm making later in the week.  So by the time I got home tonight it was dark and 20 degrees outside and I still needed to go to the library AND take my 5 minute walk to make my 365 project.

So i did my walk.  I know about where I will end up since I have walked everywhere.  I went down to the parker group building.  They have an amazing property but it was dark and COLD.  so I did a very basic little thing, after failing to get sticks to go into the frozen ground.  I was so unhappy with today's project.

Sticks and stone
As I walked back home, pissed off and feeling uncreative, I saw a couple of things I normally would not have noticed. The first was a... tree!

Isn't that just an amazing trunk?  It is like a giant sea anemone with its stinging tentacles waving about.  It just struck me dumb.  How amazing is it that such a thing occured with no help beyond the planting of a seed?  I love this tree and it cheered me up.  Maybe today was not all about making my crappy cobbled together stick array in the park maybe it was about seeing this tree.

A block or so farther on I noticed this homemade system to warn people that there is a driveway...

The headlights reflect off the pie tins in the dark.  It was such a simple idea. Someone came up with this.  A brain thought what can i do to solve this problem with what i have here and came up with this.  So, I have a tree and a homemade safety guard and a bad project, but all in all it was really a great walk.  Today's moral is from Jack's mom in "into the woods"..."The sloted spoon won't hold much soup, but it can catch the potato."  Didn't hold much art soup today,but I got a huge chunk of inspiring potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment